Typically Rice Krispy Treats are made with loads of butter and sugar loaded cereals – but to make this childhood favorite a little more macro friendly, we simply substitute the butter with honey & the sugary cereal with natural rice puff cereal! The combination of your choice of nut butter and protein powder gives the Rice Krispy Treats a little kick of protein too!
- 3 cups of Natural Rice Puff Cereal
- 1/2 cup organic honey
- 128 grams (1/2 cup) your choice of peanut, almond or cashew butter
- 105 grams (roughly 1/2 cup) of chocolate chips
- 1 scoop chocolate powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- Pour 3 cups of Puff Rice Cereal into a large mixing bowl with 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder & set aside.
- Lightly grease or cover an 8×8 pan with foil & set aside.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, mix together the honey & nut butter. Stir often. It should only take a few minutes.
- Once the two have melted & mixed together, remove from heat and stir in pinch of salt & vanilla extract.
- Pour the warm honey & nut butter mixture over the Rice Puff Cereal & protein mixture & stir until evenly coated. Add in the chocolate chips & stir.
- Once the Rice Puff Cereal is evenly coated & the protein powder is completely combined into the mixture, pour the final product into the 8×8 pan. Using a spatula spread evenly in the pan. Cover with a piece of foil.
- Using your hands, press down on the foils to form a flat top layer. Place in the freezer for 20-30min.
- Cut & serve!
Now that you’ve made your treats, it’s time to transport yourself back to your childhood – if you’ve got a fire handy, simple slice your Chocolate Rice Krispy Treat in half and place a fire roasted marshmallow in between! If you’ve got the macros, go ahead and throw a piece chocolate in between there too! But, luckily the Chocolate Rice Krispy Treats are already chocolate so that isn’t required! And now you’ve got a Chocolate Rice Krispy Treat S’more!
Ps. I know most of you won’t be by a warm campfire. Hack: place the marshmallow in the microwave for a few seconds. It doesn’t get quite the same fire roasted flavor, but it gets soft and warm which is really all you need!